Language for the “Fluency-based Strategy”


Language for the “Fluency-based Strategy”

As mentioned earlier in this section the four linking structures and four topic card prompts work for EVERY Part Two topic. You will need to create your own 4 linking phrase structures.
The examples below can be combined in any order and they will all work with every prompt on every topic card.
When you choose your four structures, try to select sentences that don’t repeat the same vocabulary (e.g.: "point", "subject" etc.)
Don’t waste time and energy learning and memorizing every possible linking phrase given below. Choose one from each section and learn those 4 so that you can produce them perfectly and naturally. Practice using those 4 for as many Part Two topics as you can.
Most of the following language can also be used in Part One and Part Three; so if you have time to spare it will be useful to get used to this way of making sentences.



A. Opening phrase + the first prompt from card
  • Ok then, I guess I could start off by answering who the person is...
  • Alright then, in response to the first question of who the person is...
  • So to begin with, in reply to the initial point of who the person is...
  • Ok, I’ll start the ball rolling by touching on the matter of who the person is...
  • Right then, like to get cracking by pointing out who the person is...
  • So I suppose I should commence with the first aspect which is who the person is...
  • Initially then, I’d like to get started by looking at who the person is...
  • So, to start with I’ll talk about who the person is...
  • So, to start with I’ll talk about who the person is...
  • So I guess I could kick off by stating who the person is...
  • Ok so my first point here would obviously be who the person is...
Before you add your content sentence, you need to add another linking phrase:
  • ...and I think I would have to choose...
  • ...and I’d have to go for...
  • ...and I’d probably select...
  • ...and my choice is going to be...
  • ...and the one I’d pick is...
So your opening sentence might be:
Ok, I’ll start the ball rolling by touching on the matter of who the person is, and have to go for Jackie Chan.
It would be a good idea to develop this first sentence further using a simple linking structure: because, for the reason that, actually, who is, which is (was), where, in fact, although, particularly, especially.
Ok, I’ll start the ball rolling by touching on the matter of who the person is, and I'd have to go for Jackie Chan for the reason that...
Remember, the first point will probably be your shortest point; so don’t worry if you can’t develop it with lots of details.
B. The second point the second prompt from card
  • Going on to my next point which is why he is famous...
  • Continuing then with the next point of why he is famous...
  • Now with regard to the next question of why he is famous...
  • Next then in response to the point of why he is famous...
  • Regarding the theme of why he is famous...
  • Now on the subject of why he is famous...
  • Now concerning the matter of why he is famous...
Before you explain this point you need to add a second linking phrase (similar to your first point).
·         ...and what I’d like to add here is that...
·         ...and what I need to emphasize here is that...
·         ...and what I ought to stress here is that...
·         ...and the thing that needs to be highlighted here is that...
·         ...and what I have to mention here is that...
Notice that all of these linking structures end in "that". This means it is very easy to make a complex sentence structure by adding a simple clause.
So the second point might be:
Now concerning the matter of why he is famous, and the thing that needs to be highlighted here is that he is a world-renowned martial arts film star.
You should develop this point using a basic linking word with one or two details which help to explain your first point. Remember - you don’t really need to speak for more than 40 seconds on any of the 4 points, so don’t introduce too many details.
C. The third point the third prompt from card
  • Processing to the subject of why I would like to meet this celebrity…
  • Moving onto the business of why I would like to meet this celebrity...
  • Drawing attention to the matter of why I would like to meet this celebrity...
  • Proceeding with the issue of why I would like to meet this celebrity...
  • Moving forward onto the area of why I would like to meet this celebrity...
Now add your second linking phrase:
·         I would like to explain that...
·         What I’d like to make clear is that...
·         You really have to understand that...
·         What like to shed light on here is that...
·         I suppose I should underline the fact that...
So the third point could be:
Moving onto the business of why I would like to meet this celebrity, the chief explanation would most likely be that I would probably ask him to leach me a few special Kung Fu tricks.
Now use another linking word to develop this point into a longer sentence (give reasons. details, explanations etc.)
D. The fourth point the fourth prompt from card
If you give fairly long responses for the other points, you might not have time to cover the last point. This is not a problem, as long as you have produced all of the linking structures in the first 3 points – your Part Two talk will be fine.
The last linking phrase:
  • Finally then, if I there‘s time, I could deal with the last question of...
  • To end with, if I still have time, I could take care of the final question of...
  • As a final point, if time permits, I'd like to bring in the point of...
  • To cut a long story short, as my very last point, with reference to the question of...
It will probably be unnecessary to develop this point because hopefully the examiner will stop you around this point.
Most people find that when they use this method, they reach the two-minute mark just after saying this final linking phrase.
Strategy Summary
The reason why this strategy is called the "fluency-based strategy" can be illustrated below.
Your overall answer will look something like this:
  1. Linking phrase + prompt + linking phrase + details + connective...
  2. Linking phrase + prompt + linking phrase + details + connective...
  3. Linking phrase + prompt + linking phrase + details + connective...
  4. Linking phrase + prompt + linking phrase + details + connective...
In the marking system, linking phrases and connectives feature heavily in the fluency scoring and so obviously an answer of this type has an enormous affect on your "Fluency" score.
It is interesting to note that most people only produce 3 or 4 linking phrases in their whole interview. However, if you use this system you will produce 8 of these in your Part Two talk alone!
It is also important to realize that the overall structure produces a large amount of complex grammar structures.
Advice
As the author of this book, an IELTS examiner for 5 years and an IELTS trainer for 6 years, I strongly recommend all candidates to use this strategy in Part Two. It instantly transforms what is usually the worst part of the speaking test into the highest scoring Part.



Examples of Part Two Using the Fluency Method
Describe an animal that can he found in your country.
You should say:
What type of animal it is
Where it can be found
Whether you have seen it
What other people think of this animal.
Preparation Notes
Panda
Present Tense + Past Tense
national symbol                                 nature reserve
endangered species                            protected
Part Two Talk
So to begin with, in reply to the initial point of what type of animal it is and the one I’d pick is the giant panda. Actually there are two types of panda, the lesser or red panda and the commonly known giant panda which is the national symbol of China.

Now concerning the matter of where it can be found, and what I ought to stress here is that because it is an endangered species it lives mostly in protected nature reserves in Western China although it is also possible to see them in zoos around the world.
Moving onto the business of whether I have seen it, I suppose I should underline the fact that I visited the Panda Sanctuary in Chengdu 2 years ago while I was travelling in Sichuan Province. It was actually a one-day tour of the pandas’ habitat which included lectures from conservation experts.
As a final point, if time permits, I’d like to bring in the point of what other people think of this animal. I guess that most Chinese people feel some sense of patriotism towards the giant panda because it is recognized globally the archetypal Chinese animal.

               



Describe a useful skill that you would like to learn.
                You should say:
                               What the skill is
                               Why you would like to learn it
                               Whether it would be difficult to learn
                Whether you think you will learn this skill in the near future.
Preparation Notes
                Tai Ji / Tai Chi
Conditional Tense + Present Tense
would / could / might
Part Two Talk
Ok, I’ll start the ball rolling by touching on the matter of what the skill is, and I'd probably select the Chinese martial art Tai Ji, a skilled art which is used to promote physical and spiritual well-being.

Continuing then with the next point of why I would like to learn it, and what I ought to stress here is that I would really like to get in shape because at the moment quite unfit. Ever since I was a kid I’ve been kind of fascinated by Tai Ji, especially the way it can help you to relieve stress and improve overall physical fitness.
Progressing to the subject of whether it would be difficult to learn, you really have to understand that it would probably be quite demanding at first, then again I’m sure I would be able to deal with the challenge, although it might be tough to master some of the complicated breathing exercises.
So to end with, if I still have time, I could take care of the final question of whether I think I will learn this skill in the near future, and I should say that I have in actual fact already signed up for a Tai Ji class which is run at the local martial arts centre near where I live.




Describe your childhood home.
You should say:
What type of house it was
Where it was located
What you liked about it
Whether you still live in this house / flat.
Preparation Notes
                Rural cottage
PAST TENSES!!
thatched roof                      backyard
Part Two Talk

Right then, I’d like to get cracking by pointing out what type of house it was, and I’d have to go for the house that I was born in, which was a spacious rural cottage in a mountainous area of Northwest Hubei. Actually this was a single storey house with about five bedrooms.
Regarding the theme of where it was located, and the thing that needs to be highlighted here is that it was set in lush fields near a range of mountains near the border with Sichuan Province. Actually it was quite isolated - the nearest town was about l0 km away and the roads were quite bumpy.
Moving forward onto the area of what I liked about it, I would like to explain that although I don’t remember too much about it, the things that have always stayed in my mind are the thatched roof which made it nice and cool in the hot summer months and the communal courtyard that we shared with our neighbors.
Finally then, if there’s time, I could deal with the last question of whether I still live in this house and as already mentioned I was born in this house but I moved out when I was about 5 years old.”